Author: Raptorak in MMOSite
As part of Rift 1.8's release, the third tier of Planar Attunement has been getting tested. This one expands upon the prior two tiers, giving more bonuses to those who have already completed the prior. Note that this is only for the "plane" trees, and the PvP tree is still lock into its first tier. Also keep in mind that this has not officially been released yet, and is still being evaluated.
Something a lot of players get lost in is regarding to what the system is and what it isn't. To help understand the new changes, it's important to understand the direction Trion is taking with it.
The system is designed to allow a somewhat flexible mechanism of "leveling" past the level 50 road-block currently set within the game. Rather than stick players at level 50 and call that the end of it, the PA system was introduced to give something as a reward for doing what people already do. The system is not meant to cause a massive imbalance between those who choose to farm the experience and those who don't; it's simply there to be an additional benefit.
As this is true, when looking at the new changes it is very important to realize that while the boosts may seem small, in the overall picture they really aren't. Also note that the active skills are usually the highlights, although not all players will take them the same.
The cost to fill in all of the skills available in Tier 3 of one tree is 10,250 points, or 103 levels (51.5 million experience). The costs of the previous tiers are 8,075 (tier 2) and 7,325 (tier 1) and must be filled in prior, bringing the total cost of all to 25,650 points per fully-filled tier 3 tree.
The highlights of tier 3's active skills are Summon Group: (Plane) skills. These allow players to, once each hour, summon their entire group to their location. These skills are only usable at rifts and can only be used in the proper type (so no Earth skill being used in a Water rift), however with the tier 2 abilities that allow opening custom rifts, that isn't an issue (and of course, tier 2 has to be filled in prior so players will already have this).
The other main skills included are shared with all callings and include:
- Earth - Metamorphic Rune: Generates a shield that absorbs an additional 300 damage and grants immunity to fear for its duration. It can last up to 2 minutes
- Air - Tempest Mirror: This deals 301 Air damage to the enemy and stuns them for 2 seconds
- Fire - Wrathful Flame: Deals 20% of incoming damage back to enemy when hit. Lasts for 2 minutes or until 20k damage is taken
- Water - Elder Tablet: Restores Mana and Energy over time and increases Strength/Wisdom by 19 for 15 minutes
- Life - Revitalization Seed: Restores 1663 health over time and increases endurance by 60 over 12 seconds
- Death - Soul Remnant: Deals 1k death damage and returns 1k health to you
What you will likely notice about these skills is that they are the same items that are obtained as rift consumables. But rather than needing to use consumables, you will always have the skills available.
If you're worried about obtaining planar charges, the death tree has a skill called Sacrifice Life: Planar Charge that allows you to turn 15% of your maximum health into a planar charge! From the Life tree there is another skill called Planar Surge. Water has a skill called Flowing Charge. Fire's is Flaring Charge.
The good passive bonuses (other than the ones that are the same as available from tier 1 and 2) include the following:
- Death - Duration of temporary item enchants increased by 15%
- Death - Increases movement while Soulwalking by 20%
- Death - Decreases the cooldown of Soulwalk by 3 minutes
- Life - Increases the duration of buffs (30 minute or longer duration) by 15%
- Life - Decreases the cooldown of Soulwalk by 3 minutes
- Life - Reduces time to mount by 5%
- Water - Increases swim speed by 10%
- Water - Increases the duration of buffs by 15%
- Fire - Duration of temporary item enchants increased by 15%
- Fire - Increases mounted speed by 6%
- Fire - Reduces the cooldown of Soulwalk by 3 minutes
- Air - Increases the duration of buffs (30 minute or longer duration) by 15%
- Air - Increases your maximum planar charges by 1
- Air - Increases unmounted, out of combat movement speed by 2%
- Air - Reduces the cooldown of Soulwalk by 3 minutes
- Earth - Increases falling height before taking damage by 6%
- Earth - Reduces the cooldown of Soulwalk by 3 minutes
- Earth - Increases your maximum planar charges by 1